Alakendu Both Niketan Residential
Alekendu bodh niketan Residential values eqal opportunity, protectin of rights and full participation for the persons with intellectual disabled, mental retardation. Alakendu Both Niketan Residential believes in participation of the persons with disabilities, parents, professionals, employees and other stake holders in the rehabilitation programmes, which are client focused.
1. Consanguineous marriage is strictly forbidden. This will greatly help avoiding chances of having mentaly retarded children.In case you are diagosed “phenylketonuria’ after undergoing urine and bloood test then such inter-marry within close relation MUST be avoided.
2. Before marriage it must be ensured that no children with genetic defects have ever born in the family of either side.
3. Always consult your doctor if you have had any dificulty in becomming pregnant or have had series of miscarriages.
4. Always try to avoid drugs and medicines as these affect mothers differently.However, minimum medicines atleast for the frist three months of pregnancy only is advised.You should know that even the normally safe and recommended drugs and medicines may under certain conditions cause serious defects in the unborn children.Pregnant mother should therefore,always consult a good physician for obstertric care.
5. Always get yourself immunised to small-pox,mumps,measles and whooping cough well before conception.
6. Injury or pressure on the abdomen during pregnancy should be avoided.You must know that wearing high heel shoes for long unborn child.Dancing and strenuous physical work after the fifth month of pregnancy must be avoided Pregnant mother should never be mentally distrurbed.
7. Do not take narcotics and tobacco during pregnancy.
8. You must workout your diet in consultation with your doctor and ensure taking a well balanced and nourishing diet supplemented with proteins and vitamins in proportion.Such well-balanced diet will help nourish the healty development of the unborn child.However,large doses of vitamisa and hormones should be avoided as these can cause borth defects.
9. If you find your child’s head abnormally large or small after measuring,the neurosurgery can help in the case of hydrocephaly or microcephaly,if done early enough.Living in high altitudes can cause in the child certinism and inherited defiency of the thyroid gland function.As such always avoid sedation and prolonged labour during the period of pragnancy.You must ensure that your baby is delivered in a hospital with facilities for immediate blood transfusion if your blood Rh factor is negative.
10. In cse you have Rh negative factor you must get yourself treated immediately after the first child so that your second pragnancy can be safeand the child is protected.Always keep constant touch with your homephysician during pregnancy and immediately after the child’s birth.
11. You must educate yourself on the childhood disease.Never let your child’s temperature remain above 101 degree F.In case it happens you should bring it down using ice-packs and consult a paediatrician at once.
12. Do not allow violent playing with baby like throwing the baby in the sir and catching it etc.Always take care to avoid any head injury to the child in your child gets a well balanced diet or protein and vitamin rich foods.Healthy enviorments is also most essential for a growing child.
13. To take care for proper nutrition always give your child plenty of green vegetables and fruits and see that the vitamins and protteins are given through natural food rather than artificially.You must know yhat breats milk feeding for child is a MUST and there is no substitute of such food for a child.You must try to keep your child in an enviorment which can provide opportunities for intellectual stimulation and for play.
14. Always avoid having children after the age of 35.The chances of bearing a baby with Down’s syndrome increase with maternal age.To a woman between 30-34,the chances of bearing such a baby is one in 750,between 35-39,one in 300;betwwen 40-44,one in 100;for women of 45 and above the chance,rise to one in 40.By contrast,women under 30 years of age have only one chance in 1500 of having a child with Down’s syndrome.
15. You should be aware that your abdomen is not screened (expect for diagnosis purposes) or exposed in any way to irradiation during your pregnancy.Always keep your child away from dangerous factors like infection,gas fumes,peeling lead paint,etc.
16. Be careful of your child so that he/she does not eat mud(earth),paint or pieces of rotten wood and waste paper.If he/she tries to eat these, you must contact your doctor and get the child treated immediately.
- Awareness regarding mental retardation
- Psychological Assessment…IQ
- Daily Activities / Self care(ADL)
- Speech and Language development
- Concept of numbers, objects and time
- Sense of shape and colours
- Devt. of skills useful for prevocational fields
Clinical & Therapeutics Services:
- Physio Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Art Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Dance Therapy
- Hydro Therapy
- Behavior Therapy
- Multi Sensory Training Services to achieve its mission
Man Power Development:
A legion of committed and trained man power is necessary to work in this special filed.
This Institute runs several courses to prepare such experts.
- D.ED.S.E.(MR) the Diploma Course is run by Teachers Training Centre Of Alakendu Bodh Niketan Residential in head Office.
- Mothers’ Training Course
- C.R.E. Programme
- Orientation and Refresheer course
- Capacity Building
- Personality Development
- Organizing Workshop, Conference, Seminar
Multi – Dimensional Psycho-Socio Activities:
- Cultural Activities
- Special Olympics
- Celebration of Social & Religious Festivals
- Educational Tours
- Computer Training
Adult Vocational Training Centre:
(Children above 18yrs. are trained for the following crafts at the creativity centre.)
- Weaving (Towel, Bed Sheet, Duster, Napkin, etc.)
- Printing & Book binding (Voucher, Challan, Form, Leaflet, Checklist, etc.)
- Making of Candles
- Carpentry (Dols, Toys, etc.)
- Greeting Cards Making